Parks Canada is opening the Trent Severn Waterway for boaters on Friday, May 28.
Parks Canada is taking Covid-19 into consideration and prioritizing the health of the public, so visitors (boaters and land-based) must follow these instructions:
● Lockage - Boaters are expected to fully care for their own water vehicles and to maintain a two-meter distance from staff and other boaters at all times during lockage.
● Mask Mandatory for Service: Mask use is mandatory for visitors in situations where they will be within two meters of Parks Canada team members or other visitors, including if they require assistance when locking their boats.
● Maintain Social Distancing: Visitors must respect the safety of others at all times by maintaining their distance from other visitors and Parks Canada team members.
● No Large Gatherings: Gatherings that do not follow the Covid-19 guidelines are not allowed on Parks Canada lands along the Trent-Severn Waterway.
● Use Cashless Payment: For the purchase of permits, please use cashless payment whenever possible to help prevent the spread of Covid-19.
Additionally, the operation of the Peterborough Lift Lock will be made available starting on May 28, 2021, on a modified basis.
Full access and operation of the lift is expectedby the end of June 2021.
In order to service as many boats as possible, the lockages will bescheduled, allowing for one complete transfer up and down per day.
Article: Zaynab Kanji
Photo: Kirkfield Lift Lock by Johanna Powell