At a ceremony Oct. 15, Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
honoured 20 individuals, businesses and groups who are working
selflessly to better our environment.
During his introductory remarks, Aurora Mayor and LSRCA Board Chair Geoffrey Dawe expressed his deep admiration and appreciation, remarking on the efforts of the recipients.
“They are the true agents of change and an inspiration to each and every one of us,” Dawe said.
Emceed by last year’s Media Award winners, Jennifer Anderson and Joe Connors of Rogers TV’s Georgina Life, the event took place at Madsen’s Greenhouse and Garden in Newmarket.
Conservation Award recipients are people engaged in positive environmental actions that contribute to a more sustainable and healthier watershed. They do it for no other reason than they care about the world they live in. They are champions in the true sense of the word.
Congratulations to this year’s recipients:
George R. Richardson Conservation Award of Honour:
• Grandmother Josephine Mandamin, Watershed and beyond
Grandmother Mandamin performs the Water Ceremony at the 2015 LSRCA conservation awards night.
Conservation Award of Merit:
• Ontario Water Centre, Watershed wide
Ernie Crossland Young Conservationist Award:
• Melissa Cusack-Striepe
NewmarketPioneering Green Communities Award (4):
• Brent Kopperson, Newmarket
• Murray Ogilvie & Joanne Brown, Newmarket
• TD Friends of the Environment Foundation, Aurora, Brock
• De La Salle Rain Garden Partners, Georgina (pictured below)
Above: left to right:
LSRCA Board members presenting:
Bobbie Drew (Vice Chair) and Margaret Quirk
Rain Garden Partners:
Representing the Regional Municipality of York, Chair Emmerson
Representing the Town of Georgina, Karyn Stone
Representing the Ontario Water Centre, Krista Lachapelle
Representing Park Lane Nurseries Limited, Owner Anna Van Maris
Representing Seneca College, Sumit Bhatia
Water Conservation Award:
• Township of Ramara
Soil Conservation Award (9):
• Maple Leaf Public School, Newmarket (pictured below)
• Sir William Osler Public School, Bradford West Gwillimbury (pictured below)
• Bradford Lions Club
• Martin and Maria Bonigut, Newmarket
• Rick Horlings, King Township
• Jeanette Phoenix, East Gwillimbury
• Holland Marsh Drainage System Joint Municipal Services Board, Bradford West Gwillimbury
• Larry and Donna Barton, Township of Ramara
• Paul and Gail Barton, Uxbridge
• Smart About Salt Council, Watershed wide
Volunteer Recognition Award:
• Bio Blitz Team of Volunteers, Watershed and beyond
Media Recognition Award:
• Regional Municipality of York, York Region
Full descriptions of the award winners can be found on the LSRCA website:
Article and photos courtesy of Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority